Wednesday 3 October 2012

Collage Tutorials and Project Failures

After Effects Tutorials



This is a template I used for the imagery as Carl talks about the relationship of the self to water.  I used an image of a hand to represent the self instead of the text and tiled background in this video



This is the tutorial that helped me create the imagery for the frame for most of my film.  By adding more layers I made the process much more complicated and pushed the boundary of what I learned in this tutorial

This is the page turn tutorial that helped me with the ripped paper imagery http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXDp1349ulQ

Project Failures


With this image I tried to overlay a leaf texture to Oliver's face to try to show half nature half nurture but it ended up looking awful.  The pink would have been chroma keyed out in final cut but was just a guide for the frame.


Most of my failures were technical - things kept crashing and not exporting, or taking over 21 hours to export from after effects.  Due to these failures I have been unable to export constructive failures and add them to this blog.  I did have many struggles with the cardboard effect and getting the peel away right.  It was also difficult to overlay images and create depth because the after effects programme kept malfunctioning - this meant that often I ended up with square images in my wavey frame.  

I also stuggled with the amount of interview material that I had collected - I had hours of footage that took me some time to distill down to 15 minutes worth of usable snippets.  This was an interesting process in itself - trying to distill the important meanings and soundbites to get the full impact of what is being said and trying to compliment segments together so they have some sort of flow.   I really want to make this film much longer and include all the interesting material I have but I ran out of time for this second assignment so look forward to making the next version much longer.

Originally I wanted to animate what was being talked about and steer away from too many talking heads segments but due to time factors I had no choice but to go with what I could.  I would like to attempt more graphically interesting work in the next segment.
The ending was a bit abrupt for me - mainly due to lack of time and wanting to make it much longer.  It doesnt flow with the same level of complexity in imagery or subtlety.


No comments:

Post a Comment